Times tables. Ugh. There has been a struggle this year with getting my third grader motivated to learn them. So much hasn't worked for us. So what am I go to do? I'm going back to the tried and true. Memorization and drills. But not in the way you think.
But if I'm not using paper tests and flashcard drills, what am I doing?
For my oldest, (16, and taking PreCalc) when we got stuck somewhere I abandoned canned curriculum and looked for games and targeted - but affordable- programs.Things have changed in the last 8 years so these targeted programs are easier and cheaper to obtain. For my 3rd grader, we found an app called Squeebles, Times Tables 2.
It's available on every mobile platform and it's fun. This game (along with a special prize waiting from mom when she can complete the 12x12 times table sheet in 5 minutes) has been all the motivation and practice she needs.
She is now asking to drill and practicing on this game without being told to. The morning math whine has disappeared!
Check out the app and see if it can help you meet your homeschool goals this year. No afflink, just my opinion.
Blessings!

No comments:
Post a Comment